I was introduced to Urban Sketchers through a colleague during my internship and I came across their ‘Manifesto’ or simply said, the values they stand for when sketching:
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
Obtained from Urban Sketchers’ Manifesto
That was their idea behind Urban Sketchers.
I like it. Through sketching, I capture the essence of a place at that particular time.
Doesn’t have to be nice, doesn’t have to be cool.
It has to be your own intepretation; just what you feel towards the place at that time.
On the last Saturday of every month, Urban Sketchers Singapore would meet up at a specific place to sketch. Sembawang Park was the location shared on their blog for the month of April. Despite staying in the east along with the heavy downpour that morning, not to mention the ongoing fasting month, I decided to finally begin my journey with the Urban Sketchers Singapore.
LONGING TO TRAVEL
Of all places I found serenity drawing a cargo ship from the jetty- one that overlooks both the naval shipyard and a Southern Malaysia.
It just felt lovely to be surrounded by people- some drawing, some fishing and some collecting seashells and crabs from the shore.
To be stuck in the current travel ban and be at the border between two countries was a really nice moment to let sink in. Given the heavy rain that delayed this trip, I was unable to meet any other members from the Urban Sketchers Singapore team.
Nonetheless, it was a lovely virgin experience of partaking in their monthly endeavours, hoping to meet them on next month’s trip.
1. Leuchtturm 1917 A5 Hardcover Notebook
2. COPIC Multiliner SP 0.1
Be the First
Keep up the date with the latest posts and releases. Directly to your inbox.